Friday, May 7, 2010

Accountability

A good friend of mine recently started his own blog, and one of his first posts really described how I feel a lot of the time. You can read it here. He talks about how he tends to get more done when he has more scheduled. Which seems contradictory, but it is so true. When I have a bunch of free time, things seem so much less urgent, because there are no deadlines. In "The 4-hour Work Week" (a fantastic book, by the way) the author, Tim Ferriss talks about this same principle. And how productivity increases exponentially as deadlines draw nearer. That may be over simplifying it, but I'm sure you get the idea.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make here is that I have no posting deadlines for this blog, therefore I end up putting off posting until something really exciting happens. And then I still end up waiting. So, I am going to try to post at least once every week, just to keep myself motivated, since that is one of the main purposes of this blog, and every other week I will do a short book review on a book I read during those two weeks. I am trying to give myself some deadlines and make myself accountable and therefore more productive.

There you have it. I am now accountable to the three or four people who ever read my blog, the pressure is on.

No comments: