Monday, May 17, 2010

What not to do the night before a 5k...

Salt Lake Running company just opened up a new store in my area, or rather, moved a location... But the point is they were having a grand opening celebration, which included a free 5k. I am all about racing, and I am even more excited when they are free because the only thing that keeps me from racing every other week is a lack of excess money.

Anyway, I digress. This particular race (like most of them) was on a Saturday morning, and I had a date Friday night. I was not thinking about what I had the next morning when I decided it would be fun to go Ice Skating for my date. I have only been ice skating once in my life, and I thought it was fun, and it was out of the ordinary enough that I thought it would make a good date, and I was right. We had lots of fun, in spite of the fact that the skating place opened later than usual because of an event they had there. We just went to CostCo and ate samples, then played Rock Band at Best Buy. When I got on the ice, it felt just like it was my first time all over again. And I was all wibbly and wobbly, and so was my date. It was so uncomfortable that she decided to switch from hockey to figure skates. I was too nervous to make the same switch, since I thought figure skates were only for girls, but I eventually gave in and I must say... I like figure skates way better, I was faster and had better balance, and dare I say it? Much more graceful.

The point of this whole story is, ice skating makes your ankles, knees, and legs overall pretty sore, and you shouldn't do it the night before a race, it will make it that much harder. The good news is: I still managed to finish in 25ish minutes, which isn't too bad considering...

No comments: