Sunday, May 23, 2010

You're not hardcore... unless you live hardcore!




I hate to admit this because it makes me sound completely lame, but I have never really been to a concert. You know, like a rock concert... I have been to The King's Singers, and some symphony-type stuff, but never really the real thing. So in an effort to make myself more "cultured" or whatever it is I am supposed to be, I went to a battle of the bands the other day. When I was invited by my friend Amber, I knew I could not pass this opportunity up. Now, I am aware that this still does not count as a genuine rock concert, but it is as close as I have ever really gotten outside of playing rock band. And I was pretty excited, even though I do not listen to rock that much.

Anyway, the evening came, and we piled into the car and drove to Provo. (I know, as if I couldn't sound more lame, I am claiming a Battle of the Bands, in Provo of all places, as a hard core experience - but wait... it gets better.) We got there with enough time to eat dinner first, and the amount of anxiety that went into choosing a place to eat could have an entire blog post all to itself, but I will let it suffice to say that we went to the Malt Shoppe from which we proceeded forth to ROCK!



Here's what happened. We walked in to this little hole in the wall cafe place with a brick room in the back with neon signs and everything. I felt like I was in a movie. The first band had just started and we met some friends there and some stood in front while myself and others found a couch in the back to sit on. Somewhere between 10 and 30 seconds later, I realized that I would not be able to take this kind of torture, not the band wasn't good (they weren't) but it was just that the "music" was so LOUD that I thought my eardrums would burst and I periodically checked to see if blood was dripping from my ears! I think I was the only person in there who thought so because every one else looked like they were having fun.

My excuse is that I do have more sensitive hearing than most people. I can hear those high pitched noises that most people can't hear after 18, and I never play my music really loud because I intend to be able to enjoy it well into my 40's at least! Yet I digress...

I tried to get used to it, I really did try, but it was too much... and yes, I had to plug my ears. (even then it was too loud, but at least not intolerable.) Don't laugh, even though I know the site of my sitting on a couch at such an event with my fingers in my ears must have looked completely ridiculous I had no other choice, or so I thought.

I wasn't sure which was worse, looking like a moron or a severe headache coupled with lasting ear damage. Then there came a point during WakeSide's turn (the second band, which was actually pretty good) when I decided that both of the aforementioned scenarios were unacceptable. So what did I do? I left. Not for good of course, I paid for this thing, and I intended to get my money's worth. Not to mention the fact that I got a ride there in the first place. But I did start running down the street. I knew there had to be a drug store somewhere near by that would sell me some earplugs, but after running for about half a mile I still saw none in sight, so I went the other direction and low and behold... The Marriott Hotel. Of course they would have earplugs, maybe even free ones for guests, or possible guests as the case may be. So I ran there, inquired at the front desk who asked me what room I was in, so I came clean and was referred to the gift shop. It was the best $2.49 I'd ever spent. I popped those babies in and ran back to catch Wakeside's last song, which was great despite the fact it lacked about 35 decibels.




For the rest of the night I was able to be up and in the action jumping around and looking like a crazy person, but at least I fit in just a little bit better. I had lots of fun, and coincidentally got a free CD, not to mention keeping my hearing in tact.

But if you think I am any more lame than you already did before reading this post, lemme just say: I saw one of the drummers had earplugs in too. So there.


At least next time I will be better educated on proper rock etiquette.

1 comment:

April said...

Save your ears. Rock to Bach. haha.