Saturday, April 24, 2010

What I learned...


Here is what I learned that I will apply to my next triathlon.
1. You don't need to get there so early.
2. If you can, find a friend or at least an acquaintance to race with, or that you know will be there. It would have been nice to have someone to talk to pre-race and afterward too.
3. Do rest the week before, but make sure you at least can do the swim distance easily at least one week before race day. (It helps to not get sick)
4. Do more brick workouts, that means biking and running, so you can get used the the transition. Just because you can do each individual leg of the race easily, does not mean you can easily do them all back to back.
5. Especially if the race is longer than a sprint, wear padded bike shorts!
6. If the swim starts in waves, rank yourself one notch lower than you really think, it is better to pass people than get passed. (See: Luke 14:7-11)
7. Bring toilet paper. Photo Credit

But one thing I think everyone should realize that I learned is this: It is worth it!

2 comments:

Shayla Taylor said...

I don't know about #6. I placed myself farther back than I should have and it was really hard to pass people. Granted, we were all swimming in the open water at the same time and there was not a lot of room, it was hard to pass people. I definitely got dunked a few times. I need to think on this one. :)

Mike said...

good point, this advice is definitely more applicable for sprints that aren't in open water... But for me, I don't mind slowing up a bit on the swim so I can save energy for the other two... But then, I'm not as hardcore of a swimmer as you... yet!