Friday, June 4, 2010

Texting



This is a pretty random post on my thoughts about the modern day miracle of text messaging. In reference to texting, I echo a common sentiment of one of my favorite Television detectives, Adrian Monk: "It's a gift, and a curse."

For quite some time I have been against this popular phenomenon, claiming outwardly that I thought it was stupid and you should just call that person and say what you have to say falling in with the people who say that it damages proper social interaction.Yet, inwardly I was thinking that I really just didn't want to pay the extra 20 bucks a month.

Ultimately I caved and got texting like everyone else, and thinking back on it, I identified a few links in the chain of events that led me give in.

1. I was going on a blind date, and the girl (let's call her, "Laura") who orchestrated it was supposed to "call me with the details." All I knew was the day and time. And the nearer that time got, the more anxious I got. No call came, and I did not know this girl's phone number! At 6:00 (the time the date was supposed to start) I was frantic with rage and embarrassment. I felt horrible for this girl who I had never met, doomed to be the fifth wheel in a group of couples, and yet so powerless to help at the same time. I can't remember how I finally got a hold of someone who knew what was going on, but I remember it took a lot of frantic effort. When I finally was able to speak to Laura I immediately proceeded to chew her out for not calling me, when she replied that she texted me the address...

2. Includes a series of less-specific events that involved me missing other crucial bits of information that were texted to me...

3. Includes a series of less-specific events that involved me missing out on certain events and activities because the invites were texted...

4. My friend Amber's woeful lamentations at my lack of texting, because she does not like to talk on the phone, and if it weren't for me using facebook and her having a blackberry on which she could check said facebook, we would likely not have been able to be friends...

5. Me missing out on whatever funny, secret conversations were going on between texters in the same room as me (at Amber's) during movies and what not...

6. And finally, I found out that I could get 1000 messages for 10 bucks instead of 20!

I have now been an official texter for about a month now, and suffice it to say, I am quite pleased with my decision. All of the things I was missing out on before are now remedied, my friends are all happier with me, and my fingers are getting faster every day.

But there are a few things I have learned since...

1. Predictive text is amazing!

2. I never would have thought 1000 messages wouldn't be enough for a month, but now I see how it can be.

3. It is great to be able to tell people things or ask questions without the possibility of being cut off, and a lot easier to communicate with those you need to (but may not want to), as well as telling multiple people things at the same time.

4. Cha Cha is amazing!

5. The biggest downside of texting is that there is not tone of voice. Be careful with this one. I have found that people will interpret the tone of your text based on their mood that day. One person might text: "How are you?" and the response, "fine" could mean anything to them. If they were in a good mood they probably interpreted that fine to be genuine and sincere. If they were having a bad day, they may think that the person they texted was having an equally awful day, and then text: "what is wrong?" which will really annoy the other person in they really are fine. This can get more complicated with people thinking that you are being rude or upset in your texting. I have heard even the simplest texts recited by the reader with an angry or sassy tone which can completely change the meaning of the original message. So be specific with you questions and responses, and don't jump to conclusions, you may just be putting your own spin on something that was composed with a completely harmless intent.

3 comments:

April said...

I'm still not givin' in.

Ms Amber said...

Should I feel bad that in all of the blogs you and Bosh write about me...I'm like this demanding overlord?

Mike said...

Haha no, not demanding... persuasive!