Monday, June 28, 2010

Book Review: "In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto"



Michael Pollan, who appears on the documentary: "Food Inc." and author of "The Omnivore's Dilemma" (which I have yet to read) hits the nail right on the head with this book. It is very fascinating, and one of the easiest non-fiction reads I have encountered. His writing style is both entertaining and informative.

I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in food, eating, and/or nutrition. Learn about what you are likely eating every day and how it can affect you. "In Defense of Food" teaches the history on "nutritionism" and explains the marketing strategies that have turned our grocery stores into vast warehouses of "food-like substances" that are causing our health as a nation to deteriorate. Take back control over what you eat and how you feel by empowering yourself with the knowledge found in this book.

Note: Unlike similar books and movies on the subject, I did not feel depressed and overwhelmed after reading it, rather I feel better about eating, and actually enjoy it more! While I do not agree with everything he says (namely the stuff about wine being good for you) I think that this book is more than worth reading. If you want a sneak peak into some of the subject matter of the book, check out the 4-part movie series on this fantastic blog.

No comments: