Wednesday, June 23, 2010

How to NOT Get Sick

As any of you who have read my blog know, the last time I did a Triathlon, I got sick 2 weeks before. Because of this, my swimming was sub-par on race day and my entire training schedule had a big nasty wrench thrown in it. I learned from that experience, that it takes approximately 2 weeks to fully recover from being sick, and get back to where you were in your training when you started feeling ill.

Needless to say, when my nephew and sister got sick a week or so ago, I took every precaution, and when I started feeling that dreaded "scratchy throat" feeling with my biggest triathlon yet in ONE week, I was desperate. I tried almost everything I knew that could possibly prevent illness, and tried to learn more and do that too.

The good news is: something that I did, or maybe a combination of things worked, and my scratchy throat was better in a day or two with no disruptions to my training. So for the benefit of those of you who also consider "s-i-c-k" to be a four letter word, I decided to post the list of 10 things I've done to help my immune system emerge victorious...


1. Prayer
I did a lot of begging, pleading, and bargaining with the Lord because I know that what is important to us is important to Him, and unless necessary for our own growth or experience, He is happy to help us out if we will just ask.


2. Positive Thinking
This one almost goes hand in hand with number one, as it is in my opinion a way to exercise your faith. But even if you are not religious, there is a lot of power that comes with the way you think and visualize things. We can truly attract what we think about and visualize, good or bad. I think I may do a post on this later, when I can go into more depth. For now, just don't say or think what you don't want to happen.


3.Vitamin C
This is probably the most well known precaution known to man. I am not sure how much of the effect is a placebo and how much is valid, but I took enough vitamin C pills/chewables to kill a small horse. (This was easy to do because the chewable ones taste really good!)


3 1/2. Airborne
I know that this stuff is mostly Vitamin C and is listed as number 3.5, but it also has some herbal stuff and zinc or something in there to help, so I drank 2 or 3 of those a day.


4. Eucalyptus Oil
Of course I have to throw in an Essential Oil remedy or some of my readers might be disappointed. (...Amber) Rubbing 2 drops of pure Eucalyptus Oil on the bottom of your feet after showering is a great way to strengthen your immunity. I did this a couple of times a day, as well as sleeping with a little Eucalyptus and Lavender on a tissue in my pillow case. (You can also diffuse EO's to kill airborne germs in your home. (Namely Spruce, Cinnamon, Frankincense, and any Citrus oils)


5. Water
They say when you get sick to drink lots of clear fluids and get lots of rest, I say to do the same thing to avoid getting sick. I drank a LOT water the last week, and I got a LOT of rest. This helps to keep your body clean and free of toxins that weaken your immunity. Also, don't be afraid to get really sweaty, that is a great way to clear your body of toxins as well. I think you can "sweat it out" when it comes to some sicknesses, especially in the early stages. Also, cut down on dairy intake until you feel a lot better, dairy increases mucous production, which is where the germs live that make you sick.


6. Common Sense
We should always be eating lots of fruits and veggies and avoiding sugar. But this holds ESPECIALLY true for when sickness is more of a possibility. I'm already on a "Dessert Fast", (as you know) and I think that helped a lot, but I also ate tons of fruit the last couple weeks, melons in particular. FYI: The amount of sugar in one can of soda can lower the efficacy of the immune system for several hours by almost half! And we all know to wash our hands frequently (but NOT with anti-bacterial soap!) and not touch our face a lot.


7. Nasal Cleansing
When I first heard what a "Neti Pot" was, I was completely freaked out by the idea. Basically you just pour salt water up your nose, and it cleans out your sinuses, it feels great and is quite entertaining to watch the water come out of the other nostril. And when you have clean sinuses, you have no germy mucous to get you sick.


8. Bom Dia
Danielle gave me this advice, and it is actually quite an enjoyable remedy. Near the produce section of the grocery store, where they sell the "POM" and "Naked" Juice is a product called "Bom Dia" it is a mix of Acai berry juice, and others that have tons of antioxidants. I got the Mangosteen one, and it was really good. The only downside is that they are a little pricey, about $3.00 for one 8oz bottle. But totally worth it!


9. "Cold Kicker"
I got this recommendation from Salt Lake Running Co.'s Blog. It is a juice concoction of raw carrots, ginger, and garlic. It really sizzles the taste buds, but I can't see how it couldn't help.


10. Homeopathic Potion
This is one that I only use in severely drastic circumstances. I have only ever used this potion twice. The first time was to end a month-long sickness on my mission, and the other was just last week. It may be the worst thing I have ever tasted. It is a mix of Echinacea, Cat's Claw, Goldenseal, and Grapefruit Seed Extract. It is so terribly bitter, and the echinacea will numb your tongue and throat if it is not diluted, so you have to put a tablespoon or so into a bottle of water and sip it throughout the day. It is truly awful, but it truly works.

The other options are ones I do not really suggest, some try Zicam, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, or flu shots. I think that all of these will only contribute to a weaker body and immune system in the long run and make your body more dependent on them, rather than helping your body do its job more efficiently. So there you have it, stay healthy!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thanks for this post. I'm going to try these things next time I feel the sickies coming on.

Ms Amber said...

You failed to mention that I bravely drank your pond water...and in fact took it like a champ.