Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Summer is Here!

I know that the official day that summer starts is not for a couple more weeks, but I think that summer should start on Memorial Day. That is when most pools start being open, that is close to when Lagoon starts to be open weekdays, and just a week or two before the kids get out of school, or... I start school again.

My point is, from whatever unofficial view point you look at from, summer has begun! I even saw a 5 day forecast that didn't have any rain scheduled in it, that was a welcome site. (I am thankful for the rain though, it has made everything green and beautiful!)

To officially kick off the summer season, I went camping this last weekend. It wasn' t like real, hardcore camping because it was technically a stake activity. I know this diminishes a bit from the adventurous, solitary spirit of camping, but it was a lot of fun nonetheless. But I did still sleep in a tent, and just to feel more independent, we set it up about a half mile away from everyone else, right by a river. That was nice because I love the sound of rushing water. The funny thing is, I forgot to grab a sleeping pad from my camping gear, but fortunately I had my yoga mat in my car. Ah, 3 millimeters of pure comfort... Anyway, here are some other highlights of the weekend.

I was kind of sad that there was no lake nearby, I think camping is always more fun by a lake, and I wanted to test out my new wetsuit in a little open water swim to get ready for the Rock Cliff TRI in a few weeks. There were some cute girls there, one in particular who's name will probably not appear on this blog in the near future unless spending time with her becomes a more common experience... ;) So that was good, we also got to do service on Saturday which was a good workout-- we dug rocks out of the horse corral that turned out to be boulders, and had to get them out, it was a pain, but so satisfying to get a big 400 pound rock up out of the earth. (Note this rock looked like it could weigh a half a pound before we started digging and found it to be the tip of a proverbial iceberg!) The rest of the time was walking around, exploring, talking, and sitting around the campfires...

Which reminds me, it was pretty rough not to be able eat smores in such an environment, and the water tastes like they took it from a swimming pool, so the soda and kool-aid were even more appealing. But fortunately, there is strength in numbers. Tosh and Suki were both there as well, and Suki got her friend Holly to go off desserts too. So we had a good support system, even though smores weren't the hardest part, it was breakfast the next day. Tosh and I were expecting pancakes, and debating how we would deal with the syrup issue, but they blindsides us with Costco muffins. (And by muffins I mean, really big cupcakes without frosting.) We debated amongst ourselves whether this was a dessert or not, but when we saw that there was more sugar than flour in the ingredients, we had a meager breakfast of grapes, cantaloupe, and watermelon. Yep, that's how hard core we are.


No comments: